Thanks for the replies fellas.
Not wanting to have a go at your work, but to rather to have the discussion ...
The way I see it is that the state of the application is something else and the URL/Title merely another representation of that state.
I have not got too far in what I am doing but I now have a decent structure working injecting values from the page into swf, and translating it back to the browser as a URL.
I used your suggestion but just had my ExternalInterfaceMediator observe for the ApplicationFacade.REQUEST_URI notification and then run requestURI() which I made private so that the only way this can happen is through the notification.
I have just spent the last 5 min clicking back and forward in my browser to proving it works!!! What a little kid I am!!! AS3 and PureMVC have made me addicted to programming again..