Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Does the frame work?  (Read 6951 times)
Ondina

View Profile Email
« on: February 23, 2009, 07:37:55 »

I am new to this framework. Just saying hello, while reading the posts on the forum and trying out the examples.

Currently I am trying to decide which one of the most popular (Flex) frameworks is more suited to satisfy my project's needs. Not an easy job, I must say.

After much reading and trying the widely known “Cafetownsend” example (and others) in the different (frameworks)variations my current state of mind is something similar to the excerpt from

Design patterns explained by Alan Shalloway and James R. Trott

<<
According to the Gang of Four, the intent of the Bridge pattern is to  “De-couple an abstraction from its implementation so that the two can vary independently.”

I remember exactly what my first thoughts were when I read this:
Huh?
And then,
How come I understand every word in this sentence but I have no idea what it means?!

I knew that
• De-couple means to have things behave independently from each other or at least explicitly state what the relationship is, and
• Abstraction is how different things are related to each other conceptually.
And I thought that implementations were the way to build the abstractions; but I was confused about how I was supposed to separate abstractions from the specific ways that implemented them.
>>

The first impressions about PureMVC:

-its  portability is very attractive. Right now I'm working on an AIR project, but  some month from now I might be working on a web project using AJAX and PHP, or maybe just Flash.
-the community seems to be very active and there are some interesting contributions coming from the members
-the FSM implementation,  Startup Manager utility, Pipes are very appealing, as far as I understood them from their description and demos
-the showcase section is encouraging for beginners, meaning that someday somehow they will be able to do it alike or that the framework is old enough to be already over the “HelloWorld” stage and is addressing the needs of a real world application

That's it for now. I hope I will be able to dive into code quick and painless, so I can see more than a nice facade:)

Ondina

~ Ondina ~
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 11:08:51 »

Welcome, Ondina. Thanks for joining the forums, and don't hesitate to dive in with questions, issues or contributions. Do search the forums often for answers, as the accumulated community wisdom answers most questions, and the signal to noise ratio is still quite good here.

Cheers,
-=Cliff> 
Pages: [1]
Print