Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Steps to follow  (Read 10375 times)
Ondina

View Profile Email
« on: February 24, 2009, 09:27:07 »

Hello

I've been reading many posts on this forum,  tutorials/articles and the FAQ section  for the last 3 days.  I'm more and more inclined to use puremvc for my project.  Actually I'm already rethinking my specific use cases from the puremvc perspective and as far as my theoretical knowledge about the framework goes it seems to be able to solve my problems.
Now my project is very complex and refactoring it is not easy, especially because I have to do it fast.  Not that I am in a hurry, but the customer is. I bet you know what I mean.

I'm wondering if it's the right approach to get help from you  if I'd post a list of my questions regarding the project's architecture and you would point me to the place where the same questions were answered already?

Or  is it better to stick to one specific question  per post?

The best way for me would be if I could show you an approximate structure of my project and mark the problematic parts, for example in form of a diagram like the ones below and then instead of a lot of words describing what I wanted you could see it immediately on a diagram.

I don't know if it's ok to post images, but since the text editor on this forum allows it I thought I could try. These were my first steps on the way of understanding puremvc:

see attachment 1
see attachment 2

Now this was a very simplified scenario with a one-way flow without response(client->server), but did I get it right so far?

I'm sorry if I'm too intrusive.

Thanks, Ondina

N.B. I don't want to call Cliff.

~ Ondina ~
Joel Hooks
Courseware Beta

baby steps

- 46288188  - passport@provinsal.com  - joeltuff
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 10:49:08 »

Steps to follow :

Step 1, cut a hole in that box...

Your pictures look like you have the right idea.

http://joelhooks.com - my ramblings about developing with actionscript and python using pureMVC and django respectively.
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:16:38 »

Unfortunately I'm on my phone and can't see the attachment but I see Joel's given it the thumbs up. I just want to add that its definitely best to post your questions separately. Lots of folks will be able to answer them but I do a lot of forum maintenance on my phone so short ones are easier to field. Otherwise I wait until I get to my desk to cope with longer missives.

-=Cliff>
Ondina

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:39:28 »

@Cliff
Thanks for answering and for the welcome.

@Joel
You made me google “cut a hole in that box “ :)
 I didn't know this idiom before  because of my mediocre English and because I didn't see the sketch featuring Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg - that comes up when you search for those keywords. From  Cliff's comments I inferred  that it was meant well.

~ Ondina ~
Joel Hooks
Courseware Beta

baby steps

- 46288188  - passport@provinsal.com  - joeltuff
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 01:48:30 »

@Joel
You made me google “cut a hole in that box “ :)
 I didn't know this idiom before  because of my mediocre English and because I didn't see the sketch featuring Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg - that comes up when you search for those keywords. From  Cliff's comments I inferred  that it was meant well.

Emmy award winning sketch!

sorry, it is just what popped in my head when I read your title ;)

http://joelhooks.com - my ramblings about developing with actionscript and python using pureMVC and django respectively.
Ondina

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 06:49:51 »

@Joel I watched the uncensored video on YouTube and read the lyrics. They made me laugh a lot.
I sent the link to all my (male) friends. I 'm not sure if I should tell my husband about the sketch myself or let my friends give him the tip and I'll just act surprised after receiving the box. ;-)

Following the step-by-step instructions:

Step 2:  After cutting a hole in that puremvc-box I was wondering what should I  put in there.
So I made a list of all the puremvc-”junk”  that I could use for my AIR application I'm working on.

While trying other frameworks I got stuck because of their lack of complex examples and utilities.
Now I'm kind of stuck because I -as a beginner- don't know what to choose from the many examples and utilities that puremvc is offering (  which is absolutely great ) and how to put them together.

My Application is a combination of regular Flex Components and Modules.

I decided that I needed the MultiCore version of the framework with the functionalities provided by Pipes, StateMachine and AsyncCommand. 

Question : Is there an example that uses Pipes + StateMachine + AsyncCommand
all together?

Thanks, Ondina

~ Ondina ~
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 06:38:23 »

Good choice starting with MultiCore.

I am working on a somewhat complex AIR app at the moment and have just made some key changes to the StateMachine utility, which will result in a 1.1 verson being released shortly. As a result, I would suggest not even venturing there yet (or at least not don't beat your head against it much).

The StopWatch demo actually still works as written, but its not representative of real world use.

Since you're working with AIR, one piece of junk you almost certainly want in your PureMVC box is the DesktopCitizen util.

When you open your app, you want it to be a good desktop citizen, and behave like most native apps; namely to restore its size and position info as well as whether it was maximized.

In AIR, you have to do this yourself. Its not hard, but its a pain to write for every app.

Check out the RSS Headlines and CodePeek AIR demos to see how its done.

An AIR app comes up in the same location. At the same location and default (or configured) size every time. Instead, if you resize it, or move it it should come up as you left it. Further, if you move and resize, then maximize and close, when you bring it up, it should appear maximized when you bring it up, and then when you click restore, it should go back to the size and position you moved it to before you maximized. We subconciously expect this behavior and when an app doesn't behave it shows. Anybody ever use the old school WS-FTP client that acted like an out of box AIR app? So annoying :)

DesktopCitizem will give you all this with only 3 or 4 lines of code.

-=Cliff>
Ondina

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 07:22:10 »

Hello Cliff ,

Thank you for answering.

I'm sorry for calling the utilities “junk”, but it's all Joel's fault:)

“When you open your app, you want it to be a good desktop citizen, and behave like most native apps; namely to restore its size and position info as well as whether it was maximized. “

YES.  I definitely want this to happen.

I already tried the RSS Headlines and CodePeek  examples among with all the other examples available for Flex/AIR/PHP/JavaScript.  I should focus only on AIR at the moment , but I was very curious about the PHP and JavaScript ports. By the way I can't stress it enough, how good it is that those ports exist. Too bad the PHP and JavaScript people don't know about them.

I'm jumping from one example to another to see what they can do, what they can not do and so on.
It would be very useful if there was an example combining all the cool things puremvc is providing, even if it would be difficult for newbies to understand it at the first glance.
If  I would know more about puremvc I would contribute to the community with such an example.
Maybe some day.....

For now:

DesktopCitizen  is already  on my puremvc-tools list!

O.K. I will wait for the next version of the StateMachine utility.

“The StopWatch demo actually still works as written, but its not representative of real world use. “

Right, and at this stage of my puremvc journey I don't know how to use it in my application.

I discovered the Fabrication utility. Would it be good for a newbie to start with it? Actually I know the answer to my question.

Anyway thanks again Cliff for taking care of us.

Ondina

~ Ondina ~
Pages: [1]
Print