Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Module vs Application  (Read 9450 times)
deltajam
Courseware Beta

View Profile Email
« on: March 23, 2009, 05:48:49 »

When is the best time to use another Application container, and when is the best time to use Modules?  If I have an Application that has 5 main categories, should each category become a module, or another Application container?  And if I use Module, can I load multiple modules inside modules ... inside modules?  Is it possible to have 'n' number of modules loaded inside each other?

Just wondering what the best practice would be ..
Jason MacDonald

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 06:10:30 »

I can't speak from the Flex side, but in Flash I have about 5 layers of modules in my app. So yes, modules inside modules works just fine. The difference is that a module can't function on it's own, it needs a parent to give it "instructions". However, an application should be able to function independently from anything else.

As an example, chapters of a book have no meaning without the book and other chapters. But a short story can live on it's own or in a book of other short stories.
deltajam
Courseware Beta

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:52:07 »

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the reply, and great analogy.  I believe I remember seeing you post in the Fabrication forum, and I'm wondering if you have tried loading modules into a module, into a module.  How have you found this to work out with Fabrication?
Jason MacDonald

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:26:07 »

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the reply, and great analogy.  I believe I remember seeing you post in the Fabrication forum, and I'm wondering if you have tried loading modules into a module, into a module.  How have you found this to work out with Fabrication?

Yes, I use Fabrication for this and it works great.
Pages: [1]
Print