Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Papervision and MVC  (Read 23784 times)
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 07:44:00 »

Yes, by module, I mean a loaded SWF or Flex Module with its own Facade. When referring to either the shell or a module interchangably I say 'core'.

Cores can communicate using interfaces or pipes. See the PipeWorks MultiCore demo and the Pipes Utility to see how pipe communications work.
For a real world app, you can also check out the Sea of Arrows site, which uses pipes to allow the shell to talk to the playlist module and the playlist module to communicate with the visuals module. The shell provides the main layout and plumbs the cores. Then it asks the playlist module to manufacture large and small versions of the playlist selector and the track selector. Inside the playlist module, when a track is played, the playlist module asks the visuals module to manufacure a spectrum analyzer to  display while the track plays. (I'm extending the visuals module to create other types of visuals per track, which is why its a separate core).

http://seaofarrows.com

http://seaofarrows.com/srcview

-=Cliff>
taymless

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 02:08:59 »

Hi there,

I've been following this thread for the last few days and I finally got my account approved, yeah :).

In the first place I should say, that my post will not answer any of the questions here, instead I will ask some questions regarding the same topic. If someone thinks this is the wrong place for that, let me know so I can create a new thread for this.

I am also considering PureMVC for my next PV3D project and have been asking myself how the abstraction would work. Unfortunately Tipz already had an idea, so I would really love to know how that would work.

I just couldn't solve the question how I would seperate the PV3D "scene" from my objects.

In my application I will have an overview of different objects, which you can select. Lets say these are different categories.
Depending on which category you clicked, a new scene, the innerview, would appear. In this innerview I'd also have different objects which can be clicked. Doing that would show a detailed view of that object, but staying in the innerview.

I would seperate all the innerviews in individual swfs. Which would obviously lead to the MultiCore version of pmvc and the module-approach you've been talking about.

I just don't seem to unterstand how the overview and the innerview would be combined and how I would apply the MVC-pattern on the PV3D-structure.

Based on your ideas I would create a module for the overview, having it's own facade and his own pv3d-objects (scene, renderer, etc.) and a module for each innerview.

Should I create a Mediator for the "3DView" which would include the scene/viewport/renderer/camera?
Would an object (e.g. a cube) be a VC with it's own Mediator?

Antoher big question is, would pmvc have a bad influence on my performance, considering that pv3d is very weak in that matter?

Hope my english is pretty much understandable and the questions don't seem as confused as I am ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:19:22 by taymless » Logged
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 06:58:43 »

I don't believ PureMVC will slow down your demo relative to say a brute force approach. And yes, I imagine your scene objects being view components, tended by mediators. This allows you to send, say, a TWIRL notification and have a number of mediators respond causing their objects to do a little piroette on the stage, for instance.

-=Cliff>
taymless

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 08:57:09 »

Well, that's kind of a relieve to hear that I wasn't that far away from getting it ;).

I worked on a first idea how the structure would look like and I'd really love some feedback.

I'm still not sure if I'm on the right way, so let me know if there's a major misunderstanding on my side.

Thanks so far.
Tipz

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 11:51:34 »

Thanks for all your input guys. Am now trying out a demo using fabricate. If i succeed i will post on how i went about it, if not i will be back  ;D
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 12:57:05 »

@taymless this looks like a reasonable setup to me.

-=Cliff>
taymless

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 12:36:45 »

Thanks Cliff, I think I'm getting closer to what it should be. Now I only need to weigh up, if it's smart to try something new like pmvc in the project for my bachelor thesis.

If I screw this up, it would be a load of time to recover, considering I only got the next 11 weeks for programming and writing the thesis.

Still, thanks for your help so far. If I keep working with pmvc on this project, I will clearly have to come back for more questions and will also document some of the results I've got.
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 08:58:26 »

Feel free to ask away! I'm here to help, and lots of others are as well.

It looks to me like you've got the gist of the PureMVC approach. If you've got eleven weeks to work on this, I believe you'll do fine.

Again, don't hesitate to post, but do make sure you've read the PureMVC docs, they'll help you out a lot and might actually help you make your decision about sticking with PureMVC for the project.

-=Cliff>
Pages: 1 [2]
Print