Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 7394 times)
psychicpotato

View Profile Email
« on: July 04, 2009, 08:02:40 »

Dear all experts,

Hello, my name is Albert. I am a college student, and currently I have taken on a website design project for the summer.

The project involves providing a 'facelift' for an existing website. The existing website is made with ASP.NET, with C# scripts that read into a SQL database. I presume that it is somewhat similar to the MVC model, where SQL = model, ASP.NET = view, C# = controller.

What I'm interested in doing is replacing ASP.NET with Flash/Actionscript 3, to make the website a little bit more dynamic. Another reason is that I am reasonably familiar with Flash in web design, but not so much with ASP.NET.

I was wondering if everyone could give me some pointers as to whether this is possible, and if so, where I should start off. I have searched around for posts that mention the integration of PureMVC and C#/ASP.NET, but so far there's no concrete solution.

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance.

Regards,
Albert
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 05:12:12 »

I'm not sure what you are looking for here. You said you're wanting to replace the ASP.NET site, but then you seem to be asking about integrating Flash and ASP.NET. So is it integration or replacement?

-=Cliff>
psychicpotato

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 06:52:02 »

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the confusion.

What I meant was to integrate ASP.NET and Flash; more specifically, I was wondering if there is a way for Flash/AS3 to display info/values from the ASP.NET pages, which read from the SQL database.

For example, if I were to construct a drop-down menu in flash, the values/strings inside the menu would come from values/strings contained in the original ASP.NET page.

I hope this clear things up. Thanks for your help.

Albert
hesten

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 04:27:56 »

I am no pureMVC expert (far from it, as I'm only beginning)

But, it seems that your questions isn't really PureMVC related but more Flash/Flex/ActionScript in general?

And yes, you certainly can load information from a database using some serverside language (most sites do). Look into the URLLoader object in the documentation. And search a bit for "actionscript 3 loading xml" (as xml is my preferred weapon of choice for transferring data :))

Regards
Pages: [1]
Print