Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Architecture 101 Course - Interested in testing?  (Read 12265 times)
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 28, 2007, 01:10:11 »

Hello All,

I'm currently working on a PureMVC Architecture 101 Course, and will soon be looking for interested participants in the process of testing and evaluating the overall courseware structure and effectiveness.

I've delivered extemporaneous multi-day training on Cairngorm, and I've been teaching Flex as an Adobe/Macromedia Certified Instructor since 1.5, and have had a lot of time to observe and think about courseware content, layout and delivery.

I've also felt that the thing that is missing after teaching a week of F2RCA ( http://www.adobe.com/support/training/instructor_led_curriculum/flex2_rca.html ) and F2DC ( http://www.adobe.com/support/training/instructor_led_curriculum/flex2_data_com.html ) or F2BDA ( http://www.adobe.com/support/training/instructor_led_curriculum/flex2_dashboard.html ) is Architecture.

Students come out of these classes, very well aquainted what Flex can do, and ready to build, but without a lot of direction in terms of architecture. I usually point people to the best design pattern books and sites that I know and offer to help with architecture if they need it.

But I think they'd be better served to have their top folks on the project sit through at least a 2 or 3 day structured architecture course in addition to the more development focused courses.

Recently while pondering next steps with PureMVC, I realized that courseware was the best way to proceed. I feel we need simpler examples, and a bunch of 'Hello World's are great for bitesized granularity, but won't really give you the big picture unless they fall within some ordered context.

Fortunately, Implementation Idioms had already layed out a logical way of unfolding the PureMVC design, but was entirely narrative.

With Architecture 101 the overall structure is similar, except there is much less narrative and much more hands on. Units cover the major actors in the applications you will write. There is some preamble to frame the Unit, but quickly it moves to the Labs, each of which has several learning points to be taken away and we set about absorbing them in the Steps for the Lab.

The courseware has a Lab project which you are modifying and a Solution project that you can refer to if you get stuck, though the Student Manual summarizes changes clearly and often.

If this sounds to you like a good way to learn PureMVC, and you'd like to get a first look at it when it is ready for testing, email me at cliff at puremvc dot org.

For businesses, FutureScale will also be offering PureMVC Architecture 101 as onsite instructor-led training in addition to the already available Adobe Flex training.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 01:11:44 by puremvc » Logged
tom.alberts

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 01:50:03 »

I would be interested in testing.

I've been going over the framework and am impressed with its organization and clarity.
Thus it also has strong educational value.
But I would like to get developing rather quickly with a minimum of code wrestling.

Simple, stand alone, and well documented examples are great to get up to speed quickly.
The proverbial "Hello World!" is good for the first 5-mins.
But at some point during the initial introduction, I would like to see something with a title like "Save Me!" that demonstrates persistent data storage.
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:20:08 »

Tom,

For an example of persistent data storage with PureMVC, have a look at the CodePeek application. It's an Adobe AIR app that persists multiple XML databases to the filesystem to store your window metrics and your saved searches by language type. It also talks to a remote service (Google Code) in the same asynchronous manner that you would if you were persisting data remotely using Flex in a browser.

Also, in a tantalizingly short time now, I'll be opening the courseware beta program. I'm working on the signup wizard at the moment.

Stay tuned,
-=Cliff>
tom.alberts

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 08:24:54 »

Thanks Cliff,
That looks like a very good example using AIR and will be the first one I gander once I get into AIR. I am currently using FlashDevelop to learn Flex and have't made it that far yet. Documentation for Flex and FlashDevelop is a bit fragmented and takes time to centralize. Today I plan to install that PureMVC template from GuruFaction and get an application working.

Looking forward to more new.
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 12:15:14 »

Tom,

You might want to have a gander at this thread ('first project with PureMVC') http://forums.puremvc.org/index.php?topic=21.0 over in the General Discussion board.

Daniele Ugoletti posted an ApplicationSkeleton app that you can use to get started with. He used the FlashDevelop project template as well.

-=Cliff>
rockhowse

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 01:48:37 »

I just finished a working version of the 101 Course and can say that it helped me get up to speed on the PureMVC framework very rapidly. Cliff's examples walk you from the baby step of creating an ApplicationFacade to full blown multi-application code sharing using Command chains on initialization. Awesome work so far Cliff!

-rOck
Pages: [1]
Print