Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Q:Flash Tracking using multiple vendors  (Read 7165 times)
eco_bach
Courseware Beta

View Profile Email
« on: November 20, 2009, 08:03:46 »

I've read Cliff's suggestion on creating an abstract mediator and it seems the most elegant solution in my case
http://forums.puremvc.org/index.php?topic=1341.msg6210#msg6210

My question is how best to implement multiple vendors, in this case both Google Analytics and Web trends.

I think simplicity dictates that I just have one tracking proxy with multiple navigateToURL calls for the different vendors.

My question is will there be a problem with simultaneous navigateToURL calls, or will I need to implement some sort of que system, to stack these calls?
sasuke

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:08:44 »

> My question is will there be a problem with simultaneous navigateToURL calls, or will I need to implement
> some sort of que system, to stack these calls?

Given that Flash runtime is single threaded, your *simultaneous* calls are not so simultaneous and are anyways scheduled for the single running thread. The only difference would be in the former case you let the flash runtime decide the order whereas in the latter case, you explicitly decide on the order.

> I think simplicity dictates that I just have one tracking proxy with multiple navigateToURL calls for the
> different vendors.

Yes, having a single proxy is the way to go IMO. To make things more flexible, you can kinda implement a registration functionality for your tracking proxy wherein you can register `n' number of trackers at runtime and each call to the tracking proxy will in turn delegate the call to your registered trackers. This is similar to the way in which a notification request sent to the Facade is communicated to all the observers for that Facade.

HTH,
sasuke
eco_bach
Courseware Beta

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 05:06:08 »

Sasuke, thanks for the reply. Yes, the reason I thought there might be an issue with multiple 'simultaneous' calls is that using the older 'getURL' method for javascript calls never worked properly (for IE6?, only the first call worked, the rest were ignored by the browser), and I always had to resort to creating a getURL que.
I'm guessing this is no longer an issue with ExternalInterface.
eco_bach
Courseware Beta

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:02:48 »

Couple 'gotchas' thought I'd share case anyone is working with Webtrends and or GA.

With Webtrends I had an issue trying to pass string data containing  a single quote. Changed to an apostrophe and worked fine. GA parsed the single quote fine.
With GA, I needed to send a trackpage event before the trackevent calls would work
Pages: [1]
Print