Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: pick up circle  (Read 6255 times)
uncleunvoid

View Profile Email
« on: December 08, 2009, 07:29:03 »

There is a certain task that keeps on coming back to me and I am wondering if I am trying to solve this in the best way.

- I need a complex piece of data in order to start a process. The data's parts are found in various places(proxies) in my app
> I go around proxies and add he data I need to a big, complex container.
> once I have everything, I send it all to my next process and there we go.

It seems this ends up sending quite a bit of data to the next process. Is that the way to do this sort of thing?

I am basically trying to solve the issue I would have normally solved in AS2 with closely coupled objects and returns. Lines of data retrieval are now parts in an event chain.
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 02:25:36 »

Well if you gather the data before passing it to the process, it doesn't matter how complex the data is, you've done a good thing by separating the gathering from the processing.

Your alternative is having the process know where to grab each piece of data.

It may sound like 'six of one / half a dozen of the other', but the nice thing about the separation of the gathering from the processing is that you could fabricate the data object to be passed into the process for testing. That proves the process works if you feed it good data, and eliminates the possibility that the proxies are introducing problems while you're tuning/troubleshooting the process itself.

-=Cliff>
uncleunvoid

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 06:37:15 »

ah so my intuition was right.

thank god, sometimes I am feeling I am reverse engineering too much.
Pages: [1]
Print