Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help setting up project  (Read 7103 times)
cass

View Profile Email
« on: January 08, 2010, 02:39:23 »

Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up a puremvc project. I have read the best practices documentation and looked at many of the recommended tutorials, but still have a few questions about the best way to set everything up.

I am making a multiple choice quiz that needs to have a welcome screen, then any number of question screens, then a results screen. The quiz questions and some assets (images) will be defined in one xml document.

1. I think this application is best suited to the standard version rather than multicore. Is this correct? If multicore is the way to go, how should it be divided up?
2. I will need to load and parse the xml, then load any assets listed in the xml. I've been looking into the loadUp utility - is this a good use for it? I am unsure as to start with I am not listing several items to loadup, just one. I then need to use that loaded data to decide what to load next.
3. I've also been looking into the stateMachine utility. If I were to implement this, would the following states be suitable:
        PREPARING, DISPLAYING_INTRO, QUESTIONING, ANSWERING, DISPLAYING_RESULTS

Any guidance would be really appreciated, thanks!
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:13:27 »

There is a DeploymentConfiguration Utility for the AS3 Standard and MultiCore versions that does what you need. It has the facility to load an XML file and to inspect various namespaces within it for configuration information. The reason for the multiple namspaces is that it allows you to define the configuration for various environments such as development, testing, staging, and production where URLs for things may vary.

Unfortunately there isn't a demo of it but there is some information with the utility that will give you a basic understanding of how it works.

-=Cliff>
jpwrunyan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 06:02:35 »

Hi all,

1. I think this application is best suited to the standard version rather than multicore. Is this correct? If multicore is the way to go, how should it be divided up?

I have to wonder about MultiCore also.  So here's my two-cents:

MultiCore approach should be reserved for really large applications that are ideally constructed via a modular approach, ie each section of the application is put together independently during development.  So in your case, I would say that if the quiz application you described were part of a larger overall education application that included your multiple-choice quiz along with a reports section, a raw materials reading section, and an online teacher chat sub-application then the multi-core approach would be appropriate.  Then in the end you just have all these modular pieces (sub-applications) connected together via a main application (like the main menu).

Anyway, our project was put together assuming multi-core was the standard and now we have got a lot of problems with 1) redundant classes (essentially the same class but in two different package folders) and 2) shared classes that are in places that don't make sense (a class in one package though it's also used by a class in another completely different package)--all this even though our application has only one Facade, View, Control, and Model.  So please don't make the mistake we did.  All we needed to do was divide our view components into so many packages.  Trying to include their Mediators, Proxies, and Commands in the same package was very stoopid.
Pages: [1]
Print