Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hey guys, I'm new here!  (Read 7157 times)
codergames

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 08, 2010, 02:14:33 »

Hi to everyone, glad to be here!

I'm not new to MVC, but I am to PureMVC and I wanted to join just to find out if its suitable for what I'm doing and how much it could speed up my game development. I'm making various types of games for both PC and Flash, mainly C++ and AS3. While I worked for others for many years, I've decided to start my own site and make my own games. During next year, if everything goes as planned, I'm gonna be making and placing many different Flash games on my site.

Can you help me out by referring me to some tutorial about how PureMVC improves game development? Is there anyone who used it for game development?

Thanks!
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:42:36 »

http://www.as3dp.com/2009/07/22/a-non-flex-actionscript-example-of-a-puremvc-multicore-application/
Here's a good simple tutorial called 'Who moved the Cheese'.

-=Cliff>
codergames

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 03:39:28 »

Sorry for the delay! Thanks Cliff, that's pretty basic. I was wondering if its possible for you to tell me what are the benefits of using pureMVC over standard MVC pattern? I'm using MVC and singleton patterns all the time.

I'm assuming lesser development time is one of the benefits, but in the case of luck of any  detailed documentation and in-depth tutorials, it could end up being more demanding in terms of time needed to develop something. Are there any tutorials introducing everything and covering all the features, classes, methods, helpers, etc. ?
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 05:20:25 »

The Goals and Benefits doc is the canonical document addressing this question:
http://puremvc.org/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,31/

In a nutshell, the basic value-adds over a home-brewed MVC is this:

It's documented, unit-tested, bug-fixed, production-quality code and there are plenty of people in the world who use it. (Just join the PureMVC Developers group on Linked-In to contact professional PureMVC developers worldwide: http://www.linkedin.com/groupInvitation?gid=71061 )

That means when you're in over your head with version 6 of your world-dominating app, you'll be able to find people all over the world who understand not only the basic principles upon which it is organized (MVC), but also the implementation of those principles in the real world (PureMVC).

Additionally, these classes and their roles responsibilities and collaborations have been ported to plenty of other languages, so you can re-apply your learning on other platforms, and port your code to other platforms in a more straightforward way than burn-down/rebuild.

And finally, you carry forward with you an unchanging methodology for handing this unchanging principle of code organization. You can look at code you wrote years ago in PureMVC and have zero issues understanding the organization of things.

Personally, since I released PureMVC in late 2006, the few times I've coded without it, I've felt adrift. Not as though I couldn't solve problems without it (I did fine for a good 20 years up to it), just belabored by having to solve problems with a different mindset and set of tools. And often the tools had changed since I last used them. PureMVC was fully-scoped before it was released. It was bug-fixed to maturity, and left at that.

So you're not going to continue having to upgrade your PureMVC library and figure out how we've decided to do things now. Out of all the tools you're forced to do that with, PureMVC wants to help you by leaving a good thing be. We extend it with ala-cart utilities rather than new versions of the framework that may break or force you to change your old code or how you write new apps.

-=Cliff>
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 05:33:43 by puremvc » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print