Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: pureMVC + swfaddress - extremely new to both  (Read 6913 times)
gerbick

View Profile Email
« on: March 03, 2008, 03:31:43 »

Won't lie.  I'm pretty much as a n00b in regards to pureMVC and SWFAddress as you can get.

I've been thrust into the tail end of a project that's using PureMVC as well as SWFAddress and I'm banging my head against why the address in the browser updates, but the flash doesn't advance or update the Flex compiled movie.  The person before me started in on a lot of different angles before settling down on one implementation.

I'm real new to both pureMVC and swfaddress; however as it stands, before my arrival the project was stated to have worked.  But that's no longer the case.

A lot of the code would not make sense since it's pulling in data from an external CMS - which is where I started with my quest, and now I'm in the Flex app; however as far as it goes, this implementation has me all in knots.  Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:28:13 »

OK. Take a step back then. If the app you're looking at is a mess, then you won't figure out the proper order of things by studying it first.

I would say the first thing to do is roll back the client to the version that worked, assuming this is in a repository or backed up somewhere.

Go through the main docs for PureMVC (Framework Overview, Best Practices), and check out some demos (If you are pressed for time, I suggest starting with the Architecture 101 demo), and be sure you understand how a PureMVC app is supposed to work. It's not so hard but you'll be scarred for life learning any framework from a knotty application you're batting cleanup on.

Then go study the swfaddress API. Make sure you understand how it works. I have looked at it and it seems pretty easy.

Remember, if you give in to the 'no time to study, have to deliver now' impulse, you're shooting yourself and your client in the foot. If a bomb was going off in 1 hour if you didn't solve a Rubiks Cube and you didn't know how, you'd be more likely to live if you read the book 'How to Solve the Rubiks Cube' as a first step than if you simply grabbed the cube and started cranking.

Once sufficiently informed, return to your task with new vigor and the confidence to overcome.

-=Cliff>
gerbick

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:47:21 »

Thank you kindly for the wise words... I've been reading up for the last two weeks (I know, nothing compared to the rest of you guys) but it seems like I've made pretty good progress; however I'm now stuck.  Really really stuck.

And the worst part... I'm close to the "area" they want this app to be, all but that one issue.  And unfortunately, no more reading seems to be getting me over the hump.

Again, thanks.  I just have to say that it's perhaps a very small issue... but I can't trace it to save my life.
Pages: [1]
Print