Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PureMVC compared to other MVC Javascript libraries  (Read 15698 times)
bluntcoder

View Profile Email
« on: June 11, 2013, 11:21:17 »

Hello,

I've been using PureMVC for my as3 projects and it's awesome. My next client is insisting that the project though is going to be HTML5 - and it is quite a doozy. All the form factors will be supported (smartphone / tablet / PC) so using an MVC framework is a no brainer. I would love to continue to use PureMVC however I am nervous given the lack of popularity of the port of it to Javascript compared to other libraries such as backbone.js, ember.js and knockout. Almost no one out in the HTML5 community seems to know of this API.

Is this just a matter of the PureMVC guys having no skill in marketing / awareness or is there something fundamentally wrong with the software? I understand it's difficult to get into - and perhaps that's all what it is, but I wanted to ask this question here to see what people's thoughts are.

Thanks,
  BC
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 05:13:33 »

Almost no one out in the HTML5 community seems to know of this API.
That's because the only demo other than the ones in our big GitHub tree of everything is here: http://todomvc.com.

We need more demos and of PureMVC working with various other frameworks. Fortunately, it looks like I'm going to be joining a project soon where I'll be knee deep in JS frameworks and hope be able to more readily contribute to the JS port myself. (I've been primarily a Flex guy for the last 9 years or so).

Is this just a matter of the PureMVC guys having no skill in marketing / awareness?

Yes, sort of.

It's partly because there has been no full-bore champion of it in the JS world as there was in Flex.

But  part of it is due to relegating it to a slot in this site that is 'so last decade'.

In fact Mike Britton and I have been chatting about building a site devoted to the JS framework, designed and built with HTML5 tools including PureMVC JS. Something along the lines of the Bootstrap site.

Cheers,
-=Cliff>
bluntcoder

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:02:37 »

Cliff,

Thanks for the link. Man there's a lot of crap to sift through when it comes to HTML5/Javascript. It's unfortunate that in the HTML5 world has this "new is always better" vibe. But honestly, you can't blame them, because in many cases we've gone back to square one with a lot of the implementation of the technology. There is absolutely nothing with Flash.. but I'll stop now before I start to rant!

I'm happy to hear that there are plans to expand the awareness of this awesome framework. A bootstrap like site is an excellent idea. Image is 90%o of the puzzle.

Based on your response, I will go with what I will know and PureMVC a valiant try with HTML5.

Thanks!
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 08:12:21 »

Feedback your experience here, good or bad. We aim to please.
Pages: [1]
Print