Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Courseware  (Read 25725 times)
fragerdaz

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 02:24:11 »

Hi everyone,

I'm absolutely new to PureMVC and have read the Best Practice doc.

Everywhere I go, users refer to CourseWare as being the "bibles" of PMVC and the best docs to learn from.  Not having them due to version change means that anyone new to PMVC can't really do much as the tutorials and demos out there offer a very steap learning curve.  :-\

Where can I go to start getting my head around this framework?

Thanks,
-fra
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 06:48:28 »

The fabled coursware is in fact in existence, but under construction at the moment.

The courseware however, simply expands on the Framework Overview and Best Practices documents, expanding that same actor by actor presentation with code labs, and specific learning points.

So, until the courseware is available, I suggest starting with the documents in the Docs section of the site, followed or combined with examination of demos such as Employee Admin and others.

-=Cliff> 
kofiaddaquay

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 08:16:35 »

woof !
fredshiken

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 03:48:34 »

Kofiaddaquay,

The courseware is in the process of being overhauled. In addition to being updated for Flex Builder 3 and PureMVC 2.0, I'm incorporating  all the feedback and suggestions from the beta test group - nearly 600 submissions altogether.No small job.

In the meantime I'm preparing al the demos and docs for PureMVC 2.0, as well as trying to get the site and project owners ready to present the 30 or so projects in the repository to the world when 2.0 is released.

The problem with leaving the courseware link up is twofold. 1 processing 20 people into the program per day was getting very time consuming and 2 sometimes people would sign up but not start until a few weeks later. That means that at when 2.0 is released the courseware will be out of date but people will still be just starting to use it.

So I had to take it down for now. I hope you can understand my dilemma.

It was the very best learning resource, though, so I'm keen to get it back up there.

For now contact me directly and I'll help you out.

-=Cliff> 

I think it would have been great if that courseware has just been left here so that somehow the others like me who may benefit from it would do so despite it being on the verge of being outdated with the newer version.

To anybody here who had the old courseware:  I'd like a copy of it please
Thanks
fx.barrett

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 08:02:54 »

Yeah, some tutorials would really be great... No offence, but the examples I see posted are everything but not helpful... I'm not a beginner but the framework is confusing as hell... Each example is twisted as hell and it just creates more confusion than actually a starting point...

Everyone uses the framework in his own way and from what I've read, almost no one is using it correctly... 90% of the examples are going against the PureMVC best practices... each discussion I've read has stuff like "ohh, you shouldn't have took that approach, it's not good the do that and that and that" but the example is still there and it's still uncorected ( at least from what I can understand ).

The documentation and the whole site is really lacking on "Intro to PureMVC, simple example for Dummies". I really can't get my head around all that mess... The only app I found helpful is the HelloFlash app and I wanted to create a fast test myself with a login form, but when I took a look at the LoginForm app then I got totally confused... nothing seems the same there, not even the idea, nothing...

It would help the community a lot if we'd finally get some Step By Step tutorials on how to start using this framework from the ground up... Looking at examples from X people isn't helping ( at all ), mainly because 90% of the examples continue in the Discussion area with "you should have done that like that... and like that and like that" but without a single piece of code to understand the difference between what's bad and how should it be corrected...

The framework itself is looking really good, but the lack of documentation and especially examples brings it down a lot...

Just my 2 cents. I really hope some actual tutorials and basic examples will be posted soon.
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 08:08:55 »

The beta testers were under NDA and are not allowed to share those materials. The courseware is not, itself open source.

-=Cliff>
fredshiken

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 06:03:15 »

Ooops! My my am sorry Cliff.
My apologies.
Will be waiting for the next release of the courseware then.
More power there!
Would you mind givin' us eager-waiters some tentative sched for the release?
 :D
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 06:29:41 »

Well I really do wish I could do that but right now, I have no ability to schedule something that requires this much effort. Why? Because I'm not paid to do it so I can't just knock off for 6 months and do it. And it is also not tractable to putting in a few hous a night on because it is a massively involved process. 

I have to have a whole weekend to make any perceptable progress.

Just know that it is on my plate and I'm working on it.

-=Cliff>
Pages: 1 [2]
Print