Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 5 reasons PureMVC kicks ass  (Read 8566 times)
Joel Hooks
Courseware Beta

baby steps

- 46288188  - passport@provinsal.com  - joeltuff
View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:35:06 »

[cross posted from this blog post]
I'm a PureMVC fan boy. There is no denying it. Here's a few reasons why:

Simplicity
There are a few MVC frameworks available for Actionscript 3. None of them are, well... as pure. PureMVC is simple by design. It doesn't provide you with a lot of bells and whistles. What it does is provide a solid foundation upon which to add your own functionality in limitless ways. The framework itself is simple. 'Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler,' said Albert Einstein. This is one of the core goals of PureMVC.

Community

The PureMVC community is growing. The Architect's Lounge has high signal to noise ratio. Cliff makes a super human effort to personally answer every question that is posted. Among the helpful community members is Chandima Cumaranatunge, the co-author of a book that anybody interested in OO Actionscript should own, Actionscript 3 Design Patterns.

Cliff has created the PureMVC Manifold Project, which provides a well crafted central location for official PureMVC releases, and a host of ports, demos, and utilities developed by the community. This wealth of information provides a high quality code base to use and learn from.

Reusability
As you can see by poking around the Manifold Project, there are a lot of utilities and modules already available. The basic structure of a PureMVC project naturally lends itself to the creation of common classes that can be reused across many projects. Major components just don't really care who is sitting beside them. They happily wait for their notifications and respond without considering their neighbors. In some circles this would be considered rude, but in a PureMVC application this gives a wonderful, loosely couple application that can be refactored and recycled.

Portability
The port to Python is done!  PureMVC is on Flex, Flash, AIR, FlashLite, Python, .NET, Windows Mobile, Silverlight, J2ME, SE, EE, JavaFX, PHP and ColdFusion. This speaks to the simplicity of the framework. It is so fundamental, that most of the ports were just straight translation.

Cliff
Cliff is samurai. He is the benevolent, tireless dictator that any flowering project needs. He is actively engaged with the community. On a daily basis he is on the forums answering questions. The structuring of the ever-expanding pile of resources and information into something useful is daunting task. There it is with the Manifold Project. It is inspiring to see someone so passionate about what they do, and channeling that passion back at anyone interested in learning.

Thanks Cliff, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

I'd love to hear why other people dig PureMVC.

http://joelhooks.com - my ramblings about developing with actionscript and python using pureMVC and django respectively.
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 06:02:23 »

Wow, thanks Joel. And you are all welcome.

PureMVC is a labor of love, and for love one will do anything!

-=Cliff>
Henk

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 11:22:39 »

After using PureMVC intensively for four months now, I wholeheartedly agree  :D

After twenty years in software this is the nicest framework I've used. It is simple and clean and 'flows' without the need for artifacts. Its a joy to work on a UI project where the architecture supports solving problems. Most questions I run into have an answer on the forum already. If you follow the suggestions in the 'best practices' documentation solutions fall into place.

Many Kudo's to Cliff.
JJfutbol

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:20:25 »

I come from the world of ColdFusion and I have always wanted to do Flex/CF development. One of the main reasons I took a new job in NYC at Arc90. I have a lot of experience with CF frameworks such as Model Glue and I wanted something in place that I could follow and after looking at PureMVC I knew it was the framework for me. Since a lot of the same concepts carry on over the time I spent was getting really comfortable with Flex itself rather than the PureMVC framework.
Pages: [1]
Print