Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Logging Needs  (Read 6610 times)
justSteve
Courseware Beta

View Profile Email
« on: May 29, 2008, 11:26:50 »

Occasionally there have been messages posted about this or that strategy for getting better logging information out of PureMVC but I haven't seen code or samples that clearly demonstrates anything. There are a number of open source logging apps out there, including LogBook that might provide an advanced starting point for getting more robust logging capabilities.

It might be worthwhile putting out some feelers in some of those other logging-oriented forums looking for someone already adapt at logging to see what capabilities can be brought to a PureMVC framework.

IMHO, logging is very nearly as important as Startup / Preloading utilities.

thx
--steve...
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 06:14:21 »

Hi Steve,

Always happy to please, I'm glad to say I'll be posting a logging solution shortly. In fact I'm working on the final repository setup tonight. The code'll be available for perusal with your morning coffee.

In order to demonstrate the new Pipes utility for MultiCore, I wrote a fully functional logging system (it just doesn't write to a service yet.)

The demo shows how the main app and all its modules can send fatal/error/warn/info/debug messages to a logging module via Pipes. It even demonstrates dynamically throttling the message traffic by 'log level' using a pipe filter to reject messages above the selected log level, with higher volume debug messages being at the top.

Right now its inline as part of the demo. I expect 1.1 of the demo to be extracting that module and making it a full fledged utility after getting feedback on likes and dislikes.

Stay tuned,
-=Cliff>
Pages: [1]
Print