Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PureMvc and Components  (Read 7795 times)
jpdery

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2008, 08:25:50 »

Hi
I'm completely new to Flex, ActionScript and especially PureMvc. I've read all the doc I could about Flex and PureMvc and, well, like all beginners, everything is still fuzzy.

My question is probably very easy to answer but I must ask. I'll have to create a GIS application in flex. This means a simple map, graphs, legends etc. I thinking the best way would be to create a component which will contains all this. I'm wondering if this component should implement PureMvc. I know this big component will handle events, graph's data will have to change based on the selected zone and I'm wondering if this component should be built using PureMvc's stuff (notifier commands etc) instead of the common Flex events.

If this is unclear, please tell me and I'll try to re-explain.

Thanks
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:11:01 »

Hi there,

This sounds a bit monolithic for a single component. Sounds like a number of components that need to work in concert with each other. This is what the framework helps with. I would suggest looking at a few of the demos, such as the EmployeeAdmin demo to see how to pass information around within an app. But don't make all your judgements based on one demo, inspect several.

That coupled with a complete read of the Best Practices doc should give you a better idea about how things work. Particularly with regard to Notifications and how to use them in concert with Events to write more portable components. Notifications aren't a replacement for Flex Events.

-=Cliff>
jpdery

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 04:43:22 »

Thank you very much for your answer.
Pages: [1]
Print