Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: StartupManager Utility or BulkLoader?  (Read 8935 times)
Sammi
Courseware Beta

View Profile Email
« on: August 26, 2008, 06:51:40 »

Hi,

I have an application that requires quite a bit of loading at startup.  I have already completed the task by using an InitialAssetsProxy that uses BulkLoader (google) for loading the many different assets.  When the proxy has loaded all the assets an InitialAssetsLoadedCommand is run. That command creates proxies that will manage the loaded assets, and sets their data property with values from BulkLoader.

Is this better or worse than using the StartupManager Utility?  Am I missing something that makes the StartupManager more powerful?

I have used the StartupManager for this before and it works great but I feel like it requires a lot more code.

Best,
Sammi
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:02:02 »

Can you provide the URL for the BulkLoader utility?

-=Cliff>
Sammi
Courseware Beta

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 07:09:34 »

Sorry,

I may have implied that there is a utility for PureMVC called BulkLoader - but that is not the case.

"BulkLoader is a minimal library written in Actionscript 3 (AS3) that aims to make loading and managing complex loading requirements easier and faster."

http://code.google.com/p/bulk-loader/

Best,
Sammi
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:16:11 »

Thanks for this info. Its difficult to say whether one is better than the other. For some jobs, people have reported attaining the required joy, but for some it may seem overkill.

If you have had success with proxying BulkLoader for that purpose, then bravo. If you have time to share a  demo, tutorial or just a nice blog or thread post with your findings it'd be valuable. Especially since you have experience with StartupManager.

-=Cliff>
philipSe

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 08:49:31 »

I just want to comment that I am working on a demo offering that loads assets and uses the StartupManager.  I'm calling it StartupForAssets.
----Philip
Sammi
Courseware Beta

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 01:37:33 »

That sounds good Philip and I am looking forward to learn from your experience.

I am planing to write a few words also on how I like to use BulkLoader for this.

Best,
Sammi
Pages: [1]
Print