Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tips for helpful tools  (Read 8854 times)
Sammi
Courseware Beta

View Profile Email
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:08:38 »

Hi,

I was hoping that some of you have tips on what methods/tools you find helpful for planing the architecture of your PureMVC applications.

Do you use Sequence Diagrams?  Simple flowcharts?  Maybe nothing like that?

How do you sketch the flow of your applications?

Best,
Sammi
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:37:38 »

One of the nice things about the framework actors is that their roles and collaborations are fairly well defined.
This makes one app much like the next once you get the hang of it.

Of course its great to diagram things and so forth but in order to adapt to the fast paced RIA biz, its nice to be able to apply simple patterns over and over, when there's little time allocated to architecture on projects before you're expected to yield working stuff.
-=Cliff>
Sammi
Courseware Beta

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 01:34:04 »

True,

there is often very little time.  That is why we love PureMVC ;)

But sketching flows can still help, especially if it doesn't take long.  That is why tools like http://www.websequencediagrams.com/ are great.  It takes me only a few minutes to sketch some sequence that I want a developer in the team to implement.

But this tool is web based and has limitations.  I  am looking for alternatives that provide you with the same "plan at the speed of thought" but also offers expected desktop features like save and load.

They do actually have an API that I could use to create such an application - but then again  - time is a limited resource.

Best,
Sammi
Timo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 09:16:59 »

Sammy,

Have you tried Gliffy

Sammi
Courseware Beta

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 10:26:31 »

Nope,

But I have seen it and I think it might be useful.

Best,
Sammi
Joel Hooks
Courseware Beta

baby steps

- 46288188  - passport@provinsal.com  - joeltuff
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:34:23 »

I use mind maps for planning almost any major project. MindJet MindManager is my favorite commercial solution, but Freemind is a decent OSS tool.

http://joelhooks.com - my ramblings about developing with actionscript and python using pureMVC and django respectively.
Sammi
Courseware Beta

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 02:00:13 »

Thanks Joel,

MindManager is a great tool that is used a lot in my company. I have tried to use it for planing applications but didn't quite find an effective way.  Would you be willing to share some guidelines on what you find effective?  Or send me a map that I could open and study?  I know it is a lot to ask so feel free to ignore my request ;)

Best,
Sammi
Pages: [1]
Print