Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flash and Puremvc  (Read 12948 times)
newtriks
Courseware Beta

- newtriks
View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 15, 2007, 03:59:51 »

Hi,

Yet another quick one :) Going by your HelloFlash demo Cliff how would you call a function in the main fla frame 1 actions from a class in the framwork?
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:56:17 »

I most likely wouldn't. The function would probably live in a class and be invoked with a reference to that MovieClip (_root).

I don't like to hide the code on the timeline. 

That said, you'll soon see a FlashLite game demo (using the soon to be released AS2 port) where you'll be able to get a much better idea about how to hook PureMVC up to a Flash app and not sacrifice the utility of the timeline.

-=Cliff>
Peter

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 02:37:39 »

Ah, an AS2 port. Well, I never thought you would release an AS2 version and since a lot of clients still want to target FP8 I did an AS2 port. Works like a charm.
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 06:36:16 »

Simon,

Man this is just unbelievable. You're the third person to do an AS2 port. I was going to do it when I returned from MAX and Pedr Brown had already done it. He sent a copy to me and I began testing it, made a few changes, repackaged it and started working on a FlashLite game with it to prove it would hold water.

There were a few issues beyond just making the compiler happy.

It sort of looks like I'm going to need to release this sooner than I wanted to in order to head off any more ports from happening. Not that your port doesn't work, mind you, just so that you don't end up having to migrate them to an official port later.

I hate to rush things like this, though. I really want to put it up there with a full demo and everything. Perhaps I need to start an AS2 port beta program. Would you be interested in participating in that? At this point it just would be the source code, and all the errata I've compiled regarding differences.

-=Cliff>
Peter

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 07:14:20 »

Well, sure I would be interested in a AS2 beta program. I can help with demo's like a complete website so users can see how things come together. And if you like I can do some work on AS3 demo's too (specifically for Flash CS3).

I did the port because most clients here (Netherlands) still want to target Flash Player 8. I already build a lot of websites in MVC and so I picked up PureMVC to start gathering my tools for projects that target Flash Player 9. And since I was very impressed with PureMVC... I did the port to AS2. At the moment I'm refactoring a recent commercial project to use the AS2 port of PureMVC and consequently I'm figuring out the specifics and posted some questions in the Getting Started forum.

I don't know if there is a need to rush things. There are a lot of AS2 frameworks out there and I don't see a lot of MVC programming in my part of the Flash world (mostly websites). And since you mentioned that you would release an AS2 port, well, I think it would be best if everyone holds his breath for a while.
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 08:53:40 »

Simon,

Thanks for the offer to help with things a bit. I may in fact take you up on it very soon. :)

In a separate email I'll get you working with the new port so that you don't end up having to do any migrations later, or at least they'll be very minor.

-=Cliff>
Peter

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 12:37:17 »

I'm not quite sure who you mean with Simon?   ;)
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 05:24:01 »

Peter,

Sorry, my brain is a little taxed today. I got confused about who I was talking to. It was Simon Newtricks who started this thread.

-=Cliff>
Pages: [1]
Print