Futurescale, Inc. PureMVC Home

The PureMVC Framework Code at the Speed of Thought

Over 10 years of community discussion and knowledge are maintained here as a read-only archive.

New discussions should be taken up in issues on the appropriate projects at https://github.com/PureMVC

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Migrate from Standard to Multicore Version  (Read 7741 times)
jkFlex

View Profile Email
« on: January 27, 2009, 03:08:05 »

Hi,

Right now I am going to start a new project in Flex with limited number of pages, so decided to use Standard version. There is a chance of increase in the number of pages.

Will it be easy to migrate from standard to multicore later or should I start with multicore only?

Please suggest.

/JK/
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:29:47 »

Since working with MultiCore is easy and most of the utilities now support it, I suggest starting with it. Unit testing is easier since you can get a new core for each test. And if there's even a slim chance you might go modular, you save yourself a migration, albeit a simple one comprised chiefly of changing imports and rewriting singleton access to use a key.
Still, this can be a pain, and is easily avoided.

-=Cliff>
jkFlex

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 10:29:45 »

Thanks for the suggestion Cliff.

I am planning to split the application into modules with less interaction with the core. I feel that AS3 Multicore would fit for this application(Modularity sample) or should I go for Pipelines?

Thanks in advance.
puremvc
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 06:32:17 »

Pipes are good if you don't want the cores to have references to each other, but instead to send messages down pipelines to eace other. It is also the safest approach if your app will host third party modules.

The other approach, shown in Modularity is where cores have a reference to each other and implement interfaces so that each core knows the interface of its collaborating core(s) and makes calls against these interfaces.

-=Cliff>
Pages: [1]
Print